Samba and PPP

Ulf Bertilsson ulf.bertilsson at adcomdata.no
Wed Mar 5 07:41:25 GMT 2003

>  Hi, Ulf Bertilsson! On 19-Feb-03, you wrote:
>
> UB>> ppp0:
> UB>> flags=40F1<UP,POINTOPOINT,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,NOARP,SANA> MTU=1500
> UB>>         inet 192.168.255.254 --> 192.168.255.253 netmask
> FFFFFFFF
> UB>>         Hardware type: PPP
> UB>>
> UB>> Use "ifconfig -h" for usage.
> UB>> 16.System:>
> UB>>  --- cut ---
> UB>>  PC has IP 192.168.255.253.
> UB>>  When i try to specify a 255.255.255.252 (FFFFFFFC) netmask
> UB>> for ppp0, Samba
> UB>> adds ppp0 to the list of interfaces, but the interface just
> UB>> does not pass
> UB>> broadcasts.
> UB>>  What's wrong? How to solve my problem?
> UB>
> UB> Pavel,
> UB>
> UB> I had this running on my A1200 some years ago.
> UB>
> UB> I think you could solve this problem with simple stuff as
> adding an
> UB> "lmhost" file spesifying all host in your "lan".
> UB> Broadcast are not in theory needed for operation.
>
>  I know. Broadcasts are not the problem itself. The problem
> is that Samba
> does not bind to ppp0 at all, it completely ignores this
> interface.

Have you tried another tcp stack ?

> This causes it to be impossible to connect to the Samba server
> from PC side.

Strange, I guess nmap'ing the ip will show no open ports ?

>  I write about it here because i think it is not
> Amiga-specific problem.
> I've tried to list through the Samba docs, and there are some
> notes meaning
> that Samba can be used on PPP links. But there are no words about the
> setting up the things there.

I do however remeber only having PPP interface on my A1200
with serial nullmodem to an NT4.0 server.

(Miami3.2, KIck 3.1, WB3.1)

Are you using amitcp ?

> UB> Are you sure your nmbd is running fine.
>
>  Of couse it does. My Amiga is connected also to a LAN via
> CNet card. And i
> work perfectly in LAN.

Oki.
Have a look for the new 3com pcmica drivers btw.

> UB> The old versions (on aminet) have some issues.
> UB>
> UB> Try get the newest gcc based ports by Olaf (2.2.5
> available also), nmbd
> UB> is more stable here.
>
>  I'll try to.

More info updated on the amiga samba list.

I think you can call the amiga 2.2.5 for beta and not alpha anymore.
Some memory fragmentation and stuff, but works quite well.

Maybe this puzzle is something Chris H like to punder about ?
Why should smb bind well to PPP links ? ;D

--
Ulf