[Directoryadmin-list] Samba 3.0 Schema changes

Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) amadorm at usm.edu.ec
Fri Jun 20 21:35:08 GMT 2003

Well, first of all, it makes me feel great your recognition of our work =).

Second, I'm all for going forward to the SAMBA 3 schema, as long as:

1) any moves we make *work properly* in all possible cases (excluding
system-induced defects)
2) we can keep backward compatibility for legacy SAMBA deployments
3) (maybe) we can also auto-detect which proper "schema file" hence "behavior"
to use

Where do we start?

Quoting Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org>:

> Just a quick note to those involved with Directory Administrator:
>
> Samba 3.0 has changed our LDAP schema, mainly to avoid conflicts with
> existing attribute names, and to allow us to move forward into groups
> and the like.  (There is a 2.2 compatibility mode, but new installations
> will use the new schema).
>
> It's not particularly documented at present, but a quick reading of the
> included conversion script should show the basic changes.
>
> It has become increasingly evident that Samba *needs* tools like
> Directory Administrator in order to move forward - telling people to
> script or edit the directory manually just doesn't cut it.
>
> As such, it would be a pity to ship Samba 3.0 with what existing tools
> we have broken.  I'm quite wiling to assist in the changes, if
> developers have questions about how the changes should be implemented.
>
> In particular:
>  - We now have a 'sambaDomain' object, with the primary domain SID
>  - We now store the 'sambaSid' for each user, not their RID
>  - The algorithm for calculating such a SID is no longer fixed.
>
> As such, we will need to work with you to ensure that we export the
> required information into LDAP, so Directory Administrator can pick it
> up.
>
> Also, if you have any ideas for how you would like Samba to 'behave
> better' in it's interaction with LDAP, I would be glad to hear it.
>
> Andrew Bartlett
>
> --
> Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
> Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
> Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net
> http://samba.org     http://build.samba.org     http://hawkerc.net

    suerte,

    Rudd-O

     UNIVERSIDAD TECNICA FEDERICO SANTA MARIA
                 CAMPUS GUAYAQUIL
        CENTRO DE SERVICIOS INFORMATICOS
Mail enviado a traves de IMP-USM: http://www.usm.edu.ec/imp
    Los invitamos a visitar  http://www.usm.edu.ec