[Directoryadmin-list] Samba 3.0 Schema changes

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Jun 21 00:32:54 GMT 2003

On Sat, 2003-06-21 at 07:35, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:
> Well, first of all, it makes me feel great your recognition of our work =).
>
> Second, I'm all for going forward to the SAMBA 3 schema, as long as:
>
> 1) any moves we make *work properly* in all possible cases (excluding
> system-induced defects)
> 2) we can keep backward compatibility for legacy SAMBA deployments
> 3) (maybe) we can also auto-detect which proper "schema file" hence "behavior"
> to use

I think this should be quite practical - you should be able to search
for the sambaDomain object, for example, or query the LDAP server for
the schema in use.

> Where do we start?

Well, I would start by reading the upgrade script, so that you can see
what needs to be done in the 'just rename' department.

I wasn't intending to hack on directory administrator myself, but I'm
quite happy to give you as much hand-holding on the Samba/LDAP stuff as
you need.

Also be warned that we might change the schema on you again :-).  I'm
not proposing anything drastic, but until it's released we might tweak a
few things.

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net