F&P Proof Of Concept

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Jul 20 11:36:40 GMT 2003

On Sat, 2003-07-19 at 22:15, Matthew Carpenter wrote:
> Thanks you for your response, Andrew.  I realize that my request was fairly
> vague, as I haven't been "in deep" with Samba since about 2.0.5 and I know
> that you guys are always doing great work.  I wanted to leave the questions
> rather open in case I am missing some key knowledge to the best design.
>
> The company is pretty bent on getting rid of eDirectory for some reason in
> favor of AD.  But I'm fairly confident that good integration with either
> directory would provide the necessary leverage for my group.
> Given the direction of AD, and desired goal of ease of administration, I'm
> still interested in what path you or your team would take.  Again, it's not
> that I'm being lazy here, I simply want to make sure they Samba get's the best
> POC possible.  Ideally, we'd like to be able to plug in the Samba server and
> only use GUI net-tools to administer it, including rights changes, home
> directory creation, etc... I suppose we really want a NetWare-like solution,
> but if Samba doesn't replace NetWare, CIFS on Windows most likely will.

There is scope for development here, on an existing base of knowledge.
Server Manager is supported for some tasks already, as is user manager.
Other things are just the appropriate use of Explorer on a connected
share.

Samba is not Win2k - it provides only some of the functionality.  Many
other parts of that functionality are provided by other products, or can
be developed independently.

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net