trouble with printer driver upload on win XP sp1

Stefan (metze) Metzmacher metze at metzemix.de
Fri Jul 18 18:31:53 GMT 2003

Hi Jerry,

I have problems with uploading printer drivers from my win xp sp1 boxes...
(HP DeskJet 850C printer, but I tried others with the same effect too)

- The driver files are copied to the server fine, but the files should go to
   \\Smb-1\print$\W32X86\3\
   but they're going to
   \\Smb-1\print$\W32X86\
   instead

   Then the files are removed and I got an error
   "Could not install driver for win 2000 amd win XP" (I got a german error
message...)

   If I install the driver locally to the winx xp box all worked fine...
   the drivers go to
   C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\

   I noticed that the registry pathes are a bit different between XP sp1
and samba.

   What do you need?
   I can give you:
   - samba logs
   - ethereal trace
   - the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\... stuff

   The win NT 4 /win 200 driver is installed on the server fine...
   So everybody who is NOT an admin can print fine with over the old driver
on XP.

   But when I try to print as admin.
   I can press the print buttom and the job goes out (or not?)...
   I got no error message!
   But at the printer (I'm using CUPS) nothing is happen.
   And the cups logs didn't show the print job :-(

metze