Silly reads from WinXP/OfficeXP against Samba 3.0

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Tue Jul 15 16:55:56 GMT 2003

Does the same happen against an NT or W2K server?

We've seen similar (not the same) behavior in other cases.  There's
"rabbit-pellet" mode, in which Windows Explorer on a W/98 or ME client
will do short writes (512 bytes), each followed by a flush operation.  It
is still not clear what triggers this.

I can send you a capture if you'd like to see it.

The problem with rabbit-pellet mode is that no one has ever seen Windows
systems do this to one another.  It only happens against a third-party
server (Samba, generally, but it may happen against others...dunno).
It *seems* as though rabbit-pellet mode is triggered by pass-through
authentication on the server, but it is not consistent.  There may also be
timing issues involved.

So, the thing to figure out first is whether or not XP does the same thing
against other servers.  If so, we may be able to get Microsoft to fix the
bug that causes it.  If it only happens against Samba, then we need to
figure out what we are doing that is "different".

As with much of Microsoft's code, it is likely that we're just causing
Windows to wander down some untested code path.  These are probably bugs
that have never been tested because none of Microsoft's products exercise
them.  I doubt that this behavior is intentional.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org