mknod and Unix CIFS Extensions

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Fri Jul 11 23:15:27 GMT 2003

Anyone remember the background on why the mknod function seems to be ifdef
out (unless HAVE_MKDEV_FN) is on?  I just recently added the mknod call via
the Unix Extensions infolevel (SET_FILE_UNIX_BASIC) of SetPathInfo to the
Linux cifs vfs and was getting access denied.

I agree with jra's comment that this should be considered deprecated and
real support added via a new Unix Extensions infolevel (anyone mind if I
take a look and spec one ... for Linux at least, but probably similar for
most others - vfs_mknod only requires that you support passing in a
filename, mode and optional major/minor numbers).

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com