Limitations of Samba-2.2.x as a domain member talking to an AD domain controller

Tim Potter tpot at samba.org
Fri Jan 24 22:30:22 GMT 2003

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 02:54:19PM -0800, Richard Sharpe wrote:

> > > Is the any way for our pre 3.0 Samba servers to participate
> > > in AD and how do you set it up?
> >
> > Tridge has written a HOWTO which should be up to date with the
> > latest Samba code.  Look at the file ADS-HOWTO.txt in the Samba
> > distribution.
>
> Hmmm, that is not how I interpreted that question. For me, the phrase
> 'pre 3.0 Samba' suggested Samba 2.2.x.

Oops - that was a bit silly.  I think the answer is in fact you
should be able to use pre-3.0 Samba as long as you create the
machine account as "pre-Windows 2000" and configure your domain
to have "permissions compatible with pre-Windows 2000 machines".

This means basically having the Everyone SID in the "pre-Windows
2000 Compatible Access" builtin group.

Tim.