Limitations of Samba-2.2.x as a domain member talking to an ADdomain controller

Damian, G. C. (Gerald) gdamian at ford.com
Mon Jan 27 02:03:00 GMT 2003

Richard Sharpe wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Jan 2003, Tim Potter wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 09:02:41AM -0500, Damian, G. C. (Gerald) wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > Is the any way for our pre 3.0 Samba servers to participate
> > > in AD and how do you set it up?
> >
> > Tridge has written a HOWTO which should be up to date with the
> > latest Samba code.  Look at the file ADS-HOWTO.txt in the Samba
> > distribution.
>
> Hmmm, that is not how I interpreted that question. For me, the phrase
> 'pre 3.0 Samba' suggested Samba 2.2.x.

Everyone,

Thanks for pointing me to the ADS howto docs. I'll RTFM.

My Samba servers are 2.2.x.

I realized after my posting that I wasn't correctly stating
my problem. I'll try to be more specific.

In setting up my 2.2.x Samba servers in an NT domain
with a remote PDC and local BDC for user accounts, I
first needed to add machine accounts on a local resource
BDC for the Samba servers before joining our domain via
smbpasswd.

In a mixed mode ADS enviroment with Pre-Windows 2000
compatibility mode I can add Samba servers to Active
Directory as before, as long as I create machine
acounts before joining the domain. This works fine.

However, as we move to a native mode environment, the
plan is to do away with the local resource BDCs for
machine accounts. Without them I can't join the
domain. Am I wrong in my impression that I won't
need to create machine accounts in Samba 3.0? Any
suggestions to get around this problem?!?

---
Jerry Damian -  My opinions != Ford's opinions or policy
Ford Motor Co, 1116 SRL, MD 1074, 2101 Village Road, Dearborn, MI 48124 USA
Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster, Observable Universe
Phone: 313 323 8347  Fax: 313 390 4865  Email: gdamian at ford.com