MS Publisher and printing...

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Fri Feb 28 23:10:46 GMT 2003

I have a LAN Admin reporting a problem when printing from MS-Publisher.
I assume this has to do with the RPC printing system.  I'd like to
understand the problem better so that I can help out.

Clues?  Anyone else seeing this specific problem?

Chris -)-----

---
Product:
Microsoft Office 2000 SP3
Product ID: 50158-700-3658033-02491

Application:
Microsoft Publisher 2000 SP3 - From CD #2 (Latest Patch Ver)
MSPUB.EXE - Friday, June 28, 2002, 3:01:04 PM - 2,719,784 bytes

Error:
<document name> - Microsoft Publisher: MSPUB.EXE - Application Error
The instruction at "0x77f578d3" referenced memory at "0x00000048". The
memory could not be "read".

Operating System:
Microsoft Windows 2000 (5.00.2195) SP3

How the error occurs:
When you go to "File -> Print", and then you choose a
Samba Printer from the list of printers
Then you click on "Advanced Print Settings..." OR click "OK" to print
the Application Error message pops up, and Publisher closes out.

This error did _not_ occur when the printers were served off of a NT 4.0
Server.

No other application we use here has a problem with the Samba Print
Server:
Some examples are:
MS Word, Excel, Access 97
MS Word 2000
MS Excel 2000
Visio 2000
Internet Explorer
Netscape 4.x+
Mozilla 1.0+
Adobe Acrobat

The types of printers that are served via the Samba Server:
HP LaserJet 1200 (Using Latest PCL 6 Drivers)
HP LaserJet 5si PCL (Using Latest PCL 5e Drivers, and Latest PS Drivers)
HP LaserJet 8100DN (Using Latest PCL 6, PCL 5e, and PS Drivers)
Xerox Document Center 332 (Using Latest PS Drivers)

The Version of Samba we are running is 2.2.7a
Server: Redhat Linux 8.0, + samba-2.2.7-2 RPM package (Latest/Greatest
Version)
---

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org