NTLMv2 Session Security

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Thu Feb 6 19:24:42 GMT 2003

While trying to document NTLMv2 authentication, I stumbled across
something known as NTLMv2 Session Security.  Does anyone know what this
is?  I can set

  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\LSA\LMCompatibilityLevel

to 1 to "enable" NTLMv2 Session Security, but I'm not sure what it does.
Some sources say that it allows the client and server to 'negotiate' the
use of NTLMv2 challenge/response (how?).  Other sources say that it
provides message integrity and confidentiality (how?).

I've played with this enough to know that enabling NTLMv2 Session Security
does not enable SMB packet signing (MAC signing).  There's a different set
of registry variables for that.  Perhaps they all interact with one
another...

Clues welcome.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org