nfs quota support

Stefan Metzmacher metze at metzemix.de
Thu Dec 4 10:12:31 GMT 2003

David Lee wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Stefan Metzmacher wrote:
>

>>nadav danieli wrote:
>>

>>>I did not have the time to test it in version 3 but it compiles and link.
>>>Also, -lrpcsvc must be added to LIBS in the Makefile
>>>

>>Hi Jeremy,
>>
>>I have a big quota patch in my local tree. And I would like to integrate
>>this patch in it.
>>So it would be nice if you would not apply this patch.
>>
>>(I also port the samba_linux_quota.h stuff from 2.2 to 3.0.x,
>>I hope this will fix a lot of problems people had with quotas,
>>because samba was not compiled with the used kernel's quota headers)
>

> Is this the time to pause and look at the wider picture?
>
> There is a long-standing (and "Status=Active") item in the TODO list:
>    http://www.samba.org/samba/devel/TODO.html
> called:
>    Rewriting Samba's current filesystem quota support as a VFS module

Maybe you noticed that the status is Active.
I'm have the infastructure allready in place. Take a look at lib/sysquotas.c smbd/ntquotas.c
the get_quota/set_quota functions are allready in the VFS layer

And the patch I've talked about will update the old quota support and the new

> Might this be a better solution?  If not, then should the item in the TODO
> list be dropped?
It should only be updated and say that the infastructure is in but it need to be ported to
the different OS'es, how it works only (test) on linux.

> (Having been actively involved in Samba quota support in the past, writing
> Solaris/VxFS and using Solaris/NFS, I'd be happy to be involved in such a
> subproject, but would not be able to lead it.)

it would be very nice if you could help me with porting the new quota infastructure to
Solaris!

--

metze