nfs quota support

David Lee t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk
Thu Dec 4 09:40:01 GMT 2003

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Stefan Metzmacher wrote:

> nadav danieli wrote:
>
> >I did not have the time to test it in version 3 but it compiles and link.
> >Also, -lrpcsvc must be added to LIBS in the Makefile
> >

> Hi Jeremy,
>
> I have a big quota patch in my local tree. And I would like to integrate
> this patch in it.
> So it would be nice if you would not apply this patch.
>
> (I also port the samba_linux_quota.h stuff from 2.2 to 3.0.x,
> I hope this will fix a lot of problems people had with quotas,
> because samba was not compiled with the used kernel's quota headers)

Is this the time to pause and look at the wider picture?

There is a long-standing (and "Status=Active") item in the TODO list:
   http://www.samba.org/samba/devel/TODO.html
called:
   Rewriting Samba's current filesystem quota support as a VFS module

Might this be a better solution?  If not, then should the item in the TODO
list be dropped?

(Having been actively involved in Samba quota support in the past, writing
Solaris/VxFS and using Solaris/NFS, I'd be happy to be involved in such a
subproject, but would not be able to lead it.)