NT status/error codes instead of DOS error codes - bug 3.0.0

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Mon Dec 1 15:28:32 GMT 2003

On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 04:29:20AM -0500, Michael B Allen wrote:
> > The FLAGS2 bit indicates what the client or server *has done* in the given
> > packet, not what the client or server *can do*.  There are some odd cases
> > in which a Windows server will send NT error codes even though the client
> > asked for DOS codes.  These situations are rare (jCIFS doesn't do NT
> > codes and has not yet--as far as I know--excersized any of the odd cases
> > in which Windows will send NT codes when it shouldn't), but they do
> > exists.

I should have specified the theory vs. practice aspect of the above.

> I don't recall if I have ever seen that. If I have I could not claim that
> it  wasn't Samba.

When I was writing my book someone (can't remember who now...sorry) sent
me a capture showing that NT4 (or possibly W2K) will assume NT status
codes for some packets if Extended Security is negotiated.

> Here are two useless facts that you can add to your
> collection of shifty SMB behavior:

You know I love this stuff...

> 1) With NT 4.0, a redundant negotiate with Flags2 NTSTATUS32 on returns
> with Flags2 NTSTATUS32 on but with a dos errorcode ERRSVR/ERRerror (which
> is what you would get had DOS error codes been requested).

What do you mean by a "redundant negotiate"?  A second NegProt on the same
connection?  Curious...  I didn't know that you could get away with doing
that.

> 2) With NT 4.0, with an STATUS_DFS_PATH_NOT_COVERED condition, if DOS
> error codes were negotiated, an ERRSRV/ERRreserved is returned which near
> as I can tell works just fine for triggering DFS referrals from a wide
> variety of operations.

Urq.  I don't see ERRreserved in the list at the back of the SNIA doc.
What number is it?

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org