NT status/error codes instead of DOS error codes - bug 3.0.0

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Mon Dec 1 09:29:20 GMT 2003

> The FLAGS2 bit indicates what the client or server *has done* in the given
> packet, not what the client or server *can do*.  There are some odd cases
> in
> which a Windows server will send NT error codes even though the client
> asked
> for DOS codes.  These situations are rare (jCIFS doesn't do NT codes and
> has
> not yet--as far as I know--excersized any of the odd cases in which
> Windows
> will send NT codes when it shouldn't), but they do exists.

I don't recall if I have ever seen that. If I have I could not claim that
it  wasn't Samba. Here are two useless facts that you can add to your
collection of shifty SMB behavior:

1) With NT 4.0, a redundant negotiate with Flags2 NTSTATUS32 on returns
with Flags2 NTSTATUS32 on but with a dos errorcode ERRSVR/ERRerror (which
is what you would get had DOS error codes been requested).

2) With NT 4.0, with an STATUS_DFS_PATH_NOT_COVERED condition, if DOS
error codes were negotiated, an ERRSRV/ERRreserved is returned which near
as I can tell works just fine for triggering DFS referrals from a wide
variety of operations.

Mike

--
A program should be written to  model the concepts of the task it
maximizes the  potential for it  to be applied  to tasks that are