No subject

Tue Dec 2 04:10:01 GMT 2003

the DC is a Windows box.  Is that correct?

Here's the odd thing...  The 1C name is a group name.  It should not be
in conflict at all.  The only way I know of (assuming that this is a
Windows/NT box) to cause the Conflict stat is for some other node to
send a directed "NAME CONFLICT DEMAND" or "NAME RELEASE REQUEST DEMAND"
to the node.

Can you scan your networks and look for the same name as a unique name?
That shouldn't be the problem but...  If some other node is registering
DOMAIN<1C> as a unique name it could cause trouble.

Perhaps something else is going on.  The handling of #1C names is very
strange.  The WINS server is supposed to list all of the IP addresses
(up to 25 of them) of the DOMAIN<1C> name, but it is also supposed to
force the IP address of the DOMAIN<1B> name to the top of the #1C IP
list.  [Goofy as all getout, but that's how you identify the PDC from
the list of IPs in the #1C entry.  Yes, really.  Geez.]

Anyway, if anything is messed up in the WINS database, or if some node
is sending out bogus "NAME CONFLICT DEMAND" or "NAME RELEASE REQUEST
DEMAND" messages, or if there is a conflicting #1C unique name... then
you would get the conflict status.

Chris -)-----