SAM (idmap?) and passdb, and unrelated winpopup question

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at xsec.it
Thu Aug 28 15:58:59 GMT 2003

On Sat, 2003-08-23 at 02:13, Tom Alsberg wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> While checking out some of the workings of Samba, I stumbled on a
> question.  Why are there both a sam directory and a passdb directory
> in the source tree (why are there two subsystems)?  Having read a bit
> about SAM (including Andrew's recent slide at sambaxp about SAM/idmap)
> it seems to me it is the same idea as passdb - both are about
> providing information (such as names, SIDs, privileges, policies,
> etc.)  about accounts, groups, and other objects...  What is the
> fundamental difference?

Before we decided the definitive schedule for samba 3.0.0 we (me,
andrew, some others) were trying to rewrite the passdb subsystem.

One of the components was idmap (the only half survived), then we also
tryed 2 different implementations for a new user database system, they
were called SAM, and GUMS (you may still see some files in the HEAD
branch.

At a point we found out we loosed too much time discussing details, and
that we were not able to finish the thing in time for 3.0.0, so we
stopped the development of the new SAM subsystme to finish the 3.0.0
release and port to the old passdb system what we could.

We'll look again in the new sam when the 3.0.0 release is over and the
development tree starts ovcer again.

Simo.

Simo Sorce - simo.sorce at xsec.it
Xsec s.r.l. - http://www.xsec.it
via Durando 10 Ed. G - 20158 - Milano
mobile: +39 329 328 7702
tel. +39 02 2399 7130 - fax: +39 02 700 442 399