Cups IPP originating host attribute and samba

Matthias Hilbig necmas at gmx.de
Mon Aug 25 14:22:19 GMT 2003

Hi,

I have a problem with the IPP originating host attribute if the print
jobs arrive with samba: it contains the netbios name, not necessarily a
valid dns name or at least a valid ip address.

I looked at the source of samba 2.2.8a and 3.0rc1, both fill the
job-originating-host attribute with get_remote_machine_name(). But the
cups backend I programmed needs to contact the originating-host, the
netbios name is useless for this purpose (unless I can somehow get the
ip address for the netbios name).

I'm not familiar with samba internals, but I think there has to be some
kind of function to convert a netbios name to an ip address. If somebody
could point this function out I could patch my samba, but overall I
think it would be better if samba filled in the dns name or at least the
ip address instead of the netbios name.

Thanks
	Matthias Hilbig