File Size (EOF) and Allocation Size

Stefan (metze) Metzmacher metze at metzemix.de
Fri Aug 1 08:15:05 GMT 2003

At 18:45 31.07.2003 +0200, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:
>At 11:33 31.07.2003 -0500, Steven French wrote:
>

>> >http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=202396 and
>> >http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/samba/2003-July/099663.html
>>
>>Your postings seem to describe multiple issues -
>>1) sparse files & exceeding quota (or getting disk full) - I find it
>>interesting how Linux filesystems like JFS can automatically treat regions
>>of files as sparse but this is normally transparent as long as the app
>>doesn't get confused at the concept of getting out of disk space writing to
>>the middle of a file.
>>2) mapping POSIX to NT STATUS return codes properly on exceeding quota so
>>explorer doesn't get confused copying files (it may turn out that the
>>problem with explorer is actually not the return code mapping but failing
>>deleting the target file after copy failure)
>>
>>Although this is not something I have noticed it is fairly easy to
>>experiment with by setting Quotas on Windows 200x and Samba and comparing
>>network behavior on file copies.  In any case explicit support for setting
>>quotas remotely was a feature that I want to add to the cifs vfs eventually
>
>sounds nice, so repquota and setquota will work then with cifs vfs, right?
>
>>and that would be a good chance to explore error mapping issues and also I
>>need to educate myself on the issue of v2 versus v3 quotas in kernel and
>>what Samba really supports.
>how does samba belongs to this???

I think we also don't need to care of the quota format...
this is only for filesystems that uses the aquota.user aquota.group or the old
quota.user quota.group files for storing the quota info...
cifs should handle this internally like XFS does...

it also should use quotas by default if the server supports them...

so mount -o defaults,usrquota ... should be NOT needed

What I also thought about is a extension for group quotas...
(smbd could support that but Windows servers doesn't.)
(maybe adding some unix extensions, but I don't know how to do so...)

metze