LMHOSTS as static WINS entry repository?

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue Apr 29 17:11:13 GMT 2003

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, John H Terpstra wrote:
>
> > > All that in mind, I like Jerry's suggestion.  The end user can point the
> > > "wins preload file" to the Samba LMHosts file, just to simplify things.
> >
> > I do NOT want to see yet MORE FEATURES being added to smb.conf. Please
> > give the admin a break!
> >
> > We need a winsadmin tool. Sort of like the pdbedit tool. Metze had
> > started on this, it is essentially a simple tool to allow all WINS
> > entries to be manipulated. Today, with WINS in wins.tdb we are hosed if
> > any changes to dynamic entries are needed. Simple things like a forced
> > expire or a forced deletion can NOT be done with wins.tdb without such a
> > tool.
> >
> > Adding another parameter to smb.conf to read in lmhosts is a
> > fundamentally broken idea! Sorry if I come across so strongly, that
> > because this is such a crippled proposition. No offense meant!
>
> John,
>
> i have no emotional attachment to the proposal so whatever
> metze choose to do if fine.  But I will disagree that the
> smb.conf parameter in fundamentally broken.
>
> The idea is to preload wins.tdb based on a file and also have
> a winsadmin tool for manipulating entries in real-time.
> otherwise the person who just blew away wins.tdb (for whatever
> reason) has to manually enter any desired static entries.

I think that WINS preloading using an external tool is better than through
an extra parameter in smb.conf.

> if the winsadmin tool wants to read in a file for bulk
> imports, that's fine as well (probably better).  But if
> this is your intent, it is not clear to me.

I do not know what the status of the WINS admin tool is. It may have been
sent to /dev/null for all I know right now.

> then again...perhaps metze should comment :-)

Metze, can you update us please. It is OK if you killed the work on the
tool, so do not feel under any pressure of obligation.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org