pam_smbpass build bug on HP-UX 11.x

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Fri Apr 4 23:58:08 GMT 2003

On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 06:05:51PM -0500, Ryan Novosielski wrote:
> There are problems with the configure.in (and consequently, configure)
> that make it impossible to build on all of my machines that run a variant
> of HP-UX 11. This patch solves half of the problem, but not speaking as a
> developer (and suspecting there may be a bug in the HP compilers -- maybe
> you can help decide), I will just mention it rather than include it in the
> patch. Sorry about the formatting -- this is the diff I've got. The issue
> solved here is that HP machines do not appear to be able to properly use
> shared libraries with the *.so extension.

> I don't know why, when elsewhere the seemingly-more-correct *.$SHLIBEXT
> is used, but I'm not a Samba developer. :)

Some care is required here; PAM modules and NSS modules are not really
"shared libraries", they're "dynamic shared objects" (DSOs).  On most
platforms, there are differences in the way the two types of objects are
linked, and it's feasible that they may also require different extensions
on platforms that care about such things.  However, $SHLIBEXT is probably
a pretty good first approximation.

Regards,
--
Steve Langasek