Sequence of buffers for reply_write

Green, Paul Paul.Green at stratus.com
Mon Sep 30 16:04:01 GMT 2002

We've had similar issues on the Stratus VOS system. This isn't a Samba
issue; Samba is just passing along the behavior of the top-level clients
(Winword, WordPad, Excel, and so forth). The Microsoft clients presume the
ability to position to anywhere in the file and write data, and they don't
restrict themselves to writing data in any particular order.  (Hey, they
presume a POSIX world; not so surprising, really).

These repositionings cannot be applied to our proprietary files, either. Any
attempt to reposition  leads to reporting a sudden file system failure to
the client (which in turn leads to the Microsoft clients displaying a rather
obscure error message).  I changed Samba so that our proprietary files
cannot be opened for writing; I force such files to be opened only for
reading (by lying and saying that the user does not have write permission to
such files). If you try to modify a read-only file, the Microsoft editors
give a cogent error message. I can supply a patch for the 2.0 branch for
this "fix".

You can check this by enabling debug messages in Samba. You can then see the
sequence of calls made by a client.

Your workaround sounds ok to me. Of course, it will have performance issues
on large files. I'd be interested in getting a copy of your patch, if and
when you implement it.

PG