Samba 3.0 and UserManager?

Kai Krueger kai at kruegernetz.de
Thu Sep 26 09:20:01 GMT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eddie Lania" <e.lania at home.nl> Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2002
8:47 PM

> I haven't got this to work altough I have read several mails now on this
> list of people that seem to have it working.
> I was wondering how this should be done.
> I can start UserManager for windows NT and see the accounts and groups,
but
> whenever I try to open one of them I get a "permission denied".

This is a known bug. It was introduced about two months ago if I remember
correctly. It however only affects users other than root that are in the
BUILTIN\Administrators group of the samba PDC. So not many people will have
noticed it.

> Please, can somebody help me?

If it is the bug I'm thinking of, then there are three solutions to it:

1) Use the user root (it must be added to passdb) to administer with usrmgr
2) Apply a patch I've appended
3) wait till Andrew Bartlet has applied the patch to HEAD

The preferred solution is using the root user on the windows machines.
Currently only root has write access to the sam. With the two other
solutions, you will be able to open your users in usrmgr, but not change
anything. Once the new sam subsystem is in place, all members of the
Administrators groups should be able to administer the sam, but that is no
where near ready yet.

> Eddie.

Kai