Permissions behavior with acl and solaris

Guy Roussin guy.roussin at teledetection.fr
Fri Sep 20 14:03:00 GMT 2002

Hi,

On a samba share I have:
[home5]
  path = /home5
  read only = No
  create mask = 0600

Under win2k, if a user create a file in this share, it has well the unix permissions 0600
and the correct correspondence under win2k (no permission for the group and everyone). All
is well.

So now, if the user modifies the file with gvim.exe for example. I note that the
permission
are deeply modified.  I can see now that the user "root" (???) is present twice:  once
with
no permission and once with read and write permissions !

The acls Unix are thus modified:

BEFORE:
lct5{root}[/home5]: getfacl n600.txt
# file: n600.txt
# owner: guy
# group: lct
user::rw-
group::---              #effective:---
mask:---
other:---

AFTER:
lct5{root}[/home5]: getfacl n600.txt
# file: n600.txt
# owner: guy
# group: lct
user::rw-
user:root:rw-           #effective:rw-
group::---              #effective:---
group:root:---          #effective:---
mask:rwx
other:---

How to avoid this behavior ?
In a general way i don't understand well the equivalence of the permissions managed
by samba between Win2k and Unix (with or without support acl).  Where can i found
information above it ?

Note : i use samba2.2.5 with solaris 2.8.  Compilation with gcc 2.95 and enabled acls...

Thank you -- Guy Roussin