Baseline build project progress.

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Sep 15 12:45:01 GMT 2002

Max TenEyck Woodbury wrote:

> Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> >
> > I also don't quite see how
> > this relates to the build farm.  Other than that, I've been rather
> > busy...
>
> I'm setting up a number of virtual machines with different OSs and OS
> variations on them so builds can be done in those environments. I believe
> that is one of (if not the main) functions of the build farm.
>
> I've started with a virgin RH 7.2 and a patched RH 7.2 system. I have/can
> get distributions and patches for 7.x and 6.2. With a little help, I should
> be able to put up other Linux distributions and possibly a FreeBSD
> distribution as well, but I need to establish a priority list since I can
> not do them all at once. I also need to schedule the builds since having more
> than one virtual machine up at a time is probably going to put more load
> on the base system than I can handle, particularly since it has other uses
> too.

So, is the idea to create a large collection of machines on which to
perform automated builds as per the build farm, on an hourly basis or
so?

If so, then when you have them sucessfully building Samba and manually
running the build farm scripts, give me a yell with machine names and
I'll set them up.  We do however need these to be pretty well 'full
time', otherwise just get lag issues.  It's also not generally worth
duplicating (under VMware in particular) machines we already have, so
check if we already have a particular setup building.

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net