CVS update: samba/source

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at ns.aus.com
Wed Sep 11 16:23:00 GMT 2002

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, REILLY,JOHN R (HP-Roseville,ex1) wrote:

> Richard -
>
> I'd be interested in your experiences, how you drove your unit tests,
> what coverage target you hoped to achieve, etc. I don't believe the
> specific numbers are as important doing the exercise causes. I think
> several things will be driven off this effort:

We had no target; we were just checking the coverage of our tests.
The tests we ran were a set of internal tests, plus smbtorture (those that
would run) plus some tests of mine.

> 1. Further populate Tim's pyunit tests (i.e. use coverage data to "test
>    the tests")
> 2. Targeted code review (i.e. Why didn't we hit this code? Why did we
>    hit this code so much harder than we expected? etc.)
> 3. Drive improved Samba quality (yada yada Mom and apple pie :-)
>
> Since my focus is printing, naturally, that is where I think the above
> will initially apply. A longer term goal 'might' be to produce some
> numbers automatically at the build farm.

I think that is a fine goal. I was warning against the view that high code
coverage is goodness and low code coverage is badness.

Regards
-----
Richard Sharpe, rsharpe at ns.aus.com, rsharpe at samba.org,
sharpe at ethereal.com