Fixed: OpLocks caused the corruptions/slowness (Was: How Samba let us down)

Chris de Vidal cdevidal at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 28 23:08:00 GMT 2002

--- jra at dp.samba.org wrote:
> The oplock code in Samba has been *heavily* tested.
> The one thing we cannot fix is clients ignoring
> oplock
> break requests. If you can show a problem occurring
> when clients are *not* ignoring oplock break
> requests then
> it's a Samba logic bug and we'll jump on it asap.

(Fog lifting) OK, you have a great point here, which
you made before, but I didn't see.  Neil gave some
guidelines for seeing if it is the client doing so,
and I'll submit a bug report if I find it to be so (if
we even get a change to test it!).  I have a good
feeling that we won't find it to be a Samba problem.

Still, wouldn't you welcome documentation advising
people of potential corruption?  I think we both agree
that there is no guarantee that everyone's network is
100% "on" and the danger of corruption appears to be
greater when there are large files read and written to
a record at a time (namely, flat databases).

/dev/idal