Fixed: OpLocks caused the corruptions/slowness (Was: How Samba let us down)

jra at dp.samba.org jra at dp.samba.org
Mon Oct 28 22:44:00 GMT 2002

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 02:36:00PM -0800, Chris de Vidal wrote:

> The team probably would have to install Elixir's Opus
> and process large flat db files (Fox Pro, I think)
> with multiple processes on multiple servers... in
> other words, it probably isn't going to happen.  The
> corruption will remain possible with other users.

The oplock code in Samba has been *heavily* tested.
The one thing we cannot fix is clients ignoring oplock
break requests. If you can show a problem occurring
when clients are *not* ignoring oplock break requests then
it's a Samba logic bug and we'll jump on it asap.

Clients commonly ignore oplock breaks because of network
problems (borderline hubs etc.). Many people are suffering
from network hardware that performs adequately in light
use situations and fails under heavy load. I myself have
ended up junking hubs with this problem.

> On the other hand, several people have confirmed it to
> be a problem with multiple clients accessing Microsoft
> Access, which is a relatively cheap test.

Yes, that's why we test it :-). Many people who have
problems with multi-user access db's are running into
access bugs.

Jeremy.