upgrade to 3.0alpha20: accented chars in filenames unreadable

Louis-David Mitterrand vindex at apartia.org
Thu Oct 17 07:43:01 GMT 2002

On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 09:30:20AM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:

> The current Debian Samba package uses the following shell snippet to
> convert between 2.2-style character set settings and 3.0-style settings,
> if the user has opted to let Debian manage the smb.conf file directly.
> If the user has chosen to not allow automatic management of smb.conf, any
> "character set" and "client code page" values in smb.conf will need to be
> converted by hand to the new "unix charset" and "dos charset" values.
>
> If the user previously had these settings in smb.conf, and they were
> converted but accents are still broken, please let me know.  (Preferably,
> a bug would be filed with the Debian BTS.)

But the problem occurs if smb.conf:

- is not managed by debconf,

- does not contain any "character" setting,

Which is probably a very common situation among samba admins using
debian.

There should be a big warning during installation if these two condtions
are met, suggesting that "unix charset" should be used if filenames
contain accented chars.

--
 HIPPOLYTE: N'osez-vous confier ce secret à ma foi ?
    THESEE: Perfide, oses-tu bien te montrer devant moi ?