[Samba] upgrade to 3.0alpha20: accented chars in filenames unreadable

Ignacio Coupeau icoupeau at unav.es
Wed Oct 16 14:59:01 GMT 2002

Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Can anyone comment on this?
>

> On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:
>

>>Upon upgrading from 2.2.5 to 3.0alpha20 on Debian unstable, filenames
>>with accented characters (ie: éàî etc.) became unreadable. For example
>>in W2K a filename previously called "résumé.xls" became "r" when looking at
>>the samba share; and the filename is impossible to modify from windows:
>>samba log says "file not found". From the shell the file looks like
>>"r?sum?.xls" but the "?" are actually 0x83.

In a hurry I used
	unix charset = "CP850"
http://www.unav.es/cti/ldap-smb/smb-ldap-3-howto.html#internationalization

this solved our problems (redhat 7.2; samba-3.0a20) for example in the
profile load on the spanish xp (ie Star menu-->menú Inicio).

Ignacio

Ignacio Coupeau, Ph.D.     e-mail: icoupeau at unav.es
CTI, Director              fax:    948 425619
University of Navarra      voice:  948 425600
Pamplona, SPAIN            http://www.unav.es/cti/