Hmmm. Special XP weirdness/brokenness. Windows 2K working on 2.2.2 and 2.2.5 and Windows XP Not (not the usual problems)

Alan Jones alan.jones at aeco.com.au
Wed Oct 16 07:06:00 GMT 2002

Hi,

We have some special weirdness happening with Samba and windows XP here.

Background:

We are wanting to install a third party product passlogix, V-GO single
sign on product on windows
(http://www.passlogix.com), which authenticates against a windows
server. Basically it uses the windows
Authentication to allow the decryption of a credential database, to
allow automatic signing on to many
Applications. It allows a user only to have to remember a single
password, and then sign on to multiple
Applications. Great appplication. Useful for medicos, who otherwise have
to remember 10 passwords that roll each month
Etc.

Anyway. To cut a long story short. We have tried this on 2.2.5 and 2.2.2
and the same thing happens. Anyway.

We install the product on W2K and it works and on WINXP (against the
same samba server and she broke).

The product requires the user to re-authenticate prior to decrypting the
credential database.

Some samba logs of the product working nicely are

http://www.aeco.com.au/~ajones/log.good
http://www.aeco.com.au/~ajones/log.smbd.good
http://www.aeco.com.au/~ajones/log.smbd.good
(all in HTML format)

Now when we run the SAME product on win XP, she no authenticates.

http://www.aeco.com.au/~ajones/log.bad
http://www.aeco.com.au/~ajones/log.smbd.bad
http://www.aeco.com.au/~ajones/log.nmbd.bad

Now interestingly.

When we use *DISCONNECT* the WINXP box from the network (using winXP)
cached credentials, ie no samba
Authentication it works like a treat. ONLY when Samba is queried she
broke.

We can provide a copy of the passlogix product if people are keen to
help.

Seems like the WinXP is doing things differently.

Now I should point out that WINXP, authenticates against the samba
server as part of the windows login PERFECTLY.
So as far as windows is concerned everything is nice with samba, only
this third party product, which WE HAVE
To RUN is broken. All help is gladly appreciated. I don't want to have
to install active directory.!!!!

Thanks

Alan B. Jones
Mobile 0412 04 3178