debian: smbfs: support for large files (>2GB) in sid with 2.4.19

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Mon Oct 14 00:22:01 GMT 2002

Hola Eduardo,

On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 10:24:11PM +0000, Eduardo Pérez Ureta wrote:

> Why I can't create files bigger that 2GB using Debian sid with linux 2.4.19
> smbfs as client and WinXP home as server?

> Where's the problem:
> - linux 2.4.19 smbfs
> - smbfs
> - WinXP home
> ?

> This is a common setup so more people like me will have this problem.
> Do you know a solution?

Both the userspace and kernel pieces of smbfs must support LFS in order
for you to be able to access files > 2GB.  As of Linux 2.4.19 and Samba
3.0alpha20, neither has support for LFS by default: patches exist for
both, but they have not been included in official releases of either
the kernel or Samba.

I'm cc:ing the upstream samba-technical mailing list on my reply,
because I believe that this is an increasingly important requirement for
the smbfs userbase, and that the Samba Team should seriously consider
making LFS support in smbfs a goal for the Samba 3.0 release.

Regards,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer