Encrypted Passwords & Restricting Logon Attempts

Jim Morris Jim at Morris-World.com
Thu Nov 28 15:01:02 GMT 2002

On Thursday, November 28, 2002, at 08:11  AM, Gerald (Jerry) Carter
wrote:

> That's funny!  Switching to plain text passwords to be in compliance
> with
> a security audit :-)  I'm choking on the irony of it all!

Yes - very ironic isn't it? ;-)

Well, this is a private, closed LAN, in an industrial settings
(basically a foundry-like facility with computers in offices and
control rooms).  I don't think there is much concern about employees
technically astute enough to use a packet sniffer to capture passwords.
   Anyway, the local MIS guy at this facility plans to use plaintext
passwords until I can give him a better solution, and just not say
anything to the corporate headquarters guys about exactly HOW he
complied with the policy to restrict login attempts to 3.

Anyway, if you are here in the US - have a great Thanksgiving - I've
got to go get my turkey going. If you aren't, have a great day anyway!

  --
Jim Morris (Jim at Morris-World.com)