Microsoft DFS and the CIFS VFS

Simo Sorce idra at samba.org
Thu May 30 10:20:02 GMT 2002

On Thu, 2002-05-30 at 18:35, David W. Chapman Jr. wrote:
> > There is a smbfs implementation in BSD, but I believe it does not have any
> > connection to the GPL'ed Linux version, other than for some comments where
> > they have obviously compared what the code does (but that is allowed).
> >
> > I think it was made for one BSD variant first and that it has been copied
> > to the others. Maybe that is why it is in 'ports'.
>
> Its in the base src for 5.0, but what you said above makes sense.  In
> any case we have a lot of gnu stuff in the base src so I don't think
> it will be a problem as I don't think we're breaking anything in the
> GPL license when we distribute.

Do not confuse programs and modules.
A GPL program can run on any system
A GPL program cannot be linked to any other program but only to any
GPL-compatible program and the whole work have to be distributed under
the GPL terms when doing so.
In the case of the module, it is part of the freebsd kernel, not a
program that uses the freebsd kernel.

So any distributor that distribute a product based on freebsd AND a GPL
module must distribute the whole program under the GPL terms (of course
that means no GPL-incompatible modules can be linked in that kernel).

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce