Thanks for fixing oplock.c for Linux 2.0 in 2_2 CVS

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed May 29 14:22:04 GMT 2002

On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 05:09:00PM -0400, Richard Bollinger wrote:
> Stoping the "server" service is a very unusual step.  Disconnecting an individual connection,
> possibly via idle timeout,  is not so unusual and I don't see the same behaviour with W2K server
> vs Samba.  Something else must be going on.

Ah, but to the client disconnecting an individual connection via
idle timeout on Samba and stopping the server service on W2K are
*identical* at the network layer - ie. they both tear down the TCP
connection.

Under W2K TCP connections are never idled, so they remain active
to the box and thus to re-create what Samba is actually doing
stopping the server service is required, and indeed when this
is done the same client bug is revealed.

It looks like idling a client connection is dangerous to a
Win98 box, we can only do a work-around for this as the bug
is in the Win9x client, I'll think some more about this.

Jeremy.