SV_TYPE_PRINTQ_SERVER flag always true?

James Guzicki - IMG jguzicki at infomg.com
Wed May 15 08:48:02 GMT 2002

I'm not quite sure it is a bug, at least on Samba's end, since it appears
to be doing exactly what it is coded to do.  The bug may be that it is not
configurable, but that's not my decision :)  As for why it is a problem
*deep breath* - For WinNT/2K clients, when they want to browse for a
printer on the network using the 'Add Printer' option, they ask the Master
Browser for a list of all servers that have the SV_TYPE_PRINT flag
true.  The NT/2K clients than talk to each server it has gotten back and
asks for the listing of printers for it.  This has caused a large increase
in time for browsing for printers (from about 5 seconds to almost a minute
with only about 15 samba servers in the workgroup so far).  Only 2 or 3 of
the 40 or so Samba servers that we will soon have are going to have
printers on them.  Now, I wouldn't discount the fact that this could be a
problem with NT/2K, since this behavior is not seen on 9x boxes.  However,
any windows box that does not share printers does not set this flag with
the Browse Master.  It would seem to me that if the Samba server is not
sharing out printers, it shouldn't set this flag either.  In any case,
since we never plan to print through Samba except for the 2 or 3 servers
(we use Novell for all other printing)  I have no problem commenting out
this flag in the Samba code and compiling it.  But maybe this is something
that might possibly want to make it's way into smb.conf?  I just wanted to
know more or less if what I was doing seemed reasonable and whether or not
it might break something else. I have checked as much as I can and it
doesn't seem like it will, but I wanted to be safe.  Thanks.

James Guzicki - IMG