SHARP DM-4500 PCL was: local_machine_name

Martin Zielinski mz at seh.de
Tue May 14 03:21:02 GMT 2002

On Wednesday 08 May 2002 15:38, Gerald Carter wrote:
> On Wed, 8 May 2002, Martin Zielinski wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> > 2nd: I'm having problems with the "SHARP DM-4500 PCL6" drivers. This is
> > a Multi-function-printer-scanner-etc. Everything works, exept for
> > printing. I get the message, that the testpage failed to print. May the
> > driver try to comunicate and fails? Any more ideas? There are no obvious
> > error states in the logs and traces.
>
> Is this a networked printer?  Does the windows driver require
> bi-directional communication perhaps?
>
> Cheers, jerry

Sorry for late response - we had holiday.
So as an update (perhaps someone knows what happens):
No message anymore (?!) but the printer prints out a little garbage and
nothing more.

I can see several SPOOLSS_WRITEPRINTER calls to transmit the job.
The samba log looks like this:

[snip the logfile]
api_rpcTNP: api_spoolss_rpc op 0x13 - api_rpcTNP: rpc command:
SPOOLSS_WRITEPRINTER
000000 spoolss_io_q_writeprinter
    000000 smb_io_pol_hnd printer handle
        0000 data1: 00000000
        0004 data2: 0000000a
        0008 data3: 0000
        000a data4: 0000
        000c data5: af cb df 3c 2d 07 00 00
    0014 buffer_size: 00001000
    0018 buffer: .............%-12345X at PJL JOB NAME="Test Page".. at PJL SET
[logfile continues...]

The problem is, that the first 12 bytes of the buffer do not belong to the
printjob.
They are: 0e00 0000 xxxx 0000 d1ad 0000
The x differ, rest allways the same.

When using a Win2k machine as spooler, the whole communication looks
different, but the job does not contain these sequences.
So I wonder, what lets the driver write these bytes and what do they mean?

Any ideas?

Martin Zielinski mz at seh.de