local_machine name

Gerald Carter jerry at samba.org
Wed May 8 06:42:01 GMT 2002

On Wed, 8 May 2002, Martin Zielinski wrote:

> Hello,
>
> 1st: on my system (Samba 2.2.4) a remote rpcclient call responses in the
> location '\\_smbserver\...' when using the IP address as location (find
> printers). I think this is created in reply.c: reply_special. The
> problem is, that loadparm.c: get_called_name scans for "*SMBSERVER"
> which is no longer there... This response leeds to errors, when trying a
> driver upload on my SAMBA box. Sorry, if allready reported.

<rant not intended at Martin by any means>
	mangling the netbios name (among other things)
	has caused us so many problems like this....
</rant>

Yes.  As soon as you said it, I know you are right.

> 2nd: I'm having problems with the "SHARP DM-4500 PCL6" drivers. This is
> a Multi-function-printer-scanner-etc. Everything works, exept for
> printing. I get the message, that the testpage failed to print. May the
> driver try to comunicate and fails? Any more ideas? There are no obvious
> error states in the logs and traces.

Is this a networked printer?  Does the windows driver require
bi-directional communication perhaps?

cheers, jerry