winbind UID, GID assignment

Mike Gerdts Michael.Gerdts at alcatel.com
Mon May 13 12:32:01 GMT 2002

On Mon, 2002-05-13 at 07:35, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> The username and domain may not be known at the time a mapping is
> required.  Thats the easy bit - we might not even know if it is a uid or
> gid!

Have you taken a look at the patch that I created?  If not, please take
a look at http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~gerdts/samba/ and let me know if the
changes to nsswitch/winbindd_idmap.c address the issue of not knowing
whether the SID is a user or group (or other..) SID.

> There is more to this whole mess than meets the eye, but yes, we do need
> to allow an aribtary SID->uid/gid, uid/gid -> SID backend system.

Would you be open to following a structure like the VFS uses now?  The
existing functions could go into the default_idmap_ops structure and
plugins could replace any or all of those ops.  I am quite motivated to
provide a patch that does this.

Mike