(no subject)

Raymundo, Joseph j.raymundo at spitech.com
Mon May 13 04:14:01 GMT 2002

>      We're using Redhat Linux 6.2 and Samba 2.0.7 for our file server.  It is driven by an Intel Pentium III 900Mhz processor, 128MB PC133 DIMM, and RAID1 (40GB 5400rpm IDE).  We have an average of 30-40 active connections.  Users workstation is mostly Intel Pentium III 900Mhz with 128MB memory and connected via 10mbps Ethernet.

File access is not that heavy, but the files can be quite large, 100Kb to 30Mb.  A software being used by production directly accessed hi-res images in TIFF format or .tif file.  We also have postscript files that are being extracted from the server to a local PC for distilling.  The average size is about 100-200MB and sometimes goes up to 1.5GB.

     > Users are complaining that the server is going very slow whenever a large file is taken out or during peak hours where a lot of users are accessing the server all at the same time.  Based on the result of the "top" command, I have only 3.5 to 3MB left on my memory.  What I'm doing is just restart the samba and everything goes back to normal.
	>
     > The problem is that this is happening almost once or at least twice everyday.  We have another file server with Redhat 7.2 and Samba 2.2.1 same processor, but have a RAID5, 5400rpm IDE hard disk and 256MB DIMM PC133 memory.  This too is having the same problems as the first one.
	>
     > Is 128MB enough for our file server or is there something wrong with the configuration of our Linux? Is RAID really adding that much load to the CPU usage, I/O operation and memory considering that the disks are controlled by the motherboard and/or processor? Do you have any hardware recommendations or softwares needed to be install on our samba files server?

Regards,

Joseph S. Raymundo
SPS SYSTEMS ENGINEER
SPI TECHNOLOGIES INC.