Heuristics for finding a Win2K domain controller ...

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Fri May 3 07:11:31 GMT 2002

On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 07:50:35AM +0200, Norbert Püschel wrote:

> WINS is only used for backward compatibility in Win2K. The DCs are found
> via their
> DNS entries; they have entries of type SRV in _msdcs.your.domain, where
> your.domain is
> your DNS domain _and_ your W2K-domain.

> Your DNS must support dynamic DNS for this to work. W2Ks DNS-server does
> this, as does BIND 8/9.

Is dynamic DNS support absolutely /necessary/?  I.e., will a W2K DC fail
to provide services correctly if it can't register the DNS name, in the
same way than an NT PDC can be DoS'ed if there is already a PDC
registered with the WINS server?  I'm personally not particularly keen
on the idea of configuring dynDNS support just for AD -- though happily,
I'm pretty sure I can count on this not being a requirement for Samba
3.0.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer