6s Delay when accessing share

Christoph Kaegi kgc at zhwin.ch
Thu May 2 02:48:01 GMT 2002

Dear list members

We experience a 6 seconds delay when accessing a samba share, for example
when copying a local file to the share, or accessing the share by
doubleclicking on "my documents", which is redirected to the UNC sharename.

When looking at the network traffic, i see the following:

- client is doing a create request to \srvsvc on the IPC$ Share
- this succeeds and the client gets a FID
- client does a DCERPC Bind (UUID: 4b324fc8-1670-01d3-1278-5a47bf6ee188)
- now, the server responds with a 'Write AndX Response'
  Error: STATUS_INVALID_HANDLE
- client tries do close the FID but gets again a STATUS_INVALID_HANDLE

This is repeated for about 400 to 600 packets, then the original
user request for copying or showing a share succeeds.

I can send a tcpdump of this, if it helps.

Our configuration is as follows:

Server:

- Sun Solaris 8 / Sparc
- Samba 2.2.3a
- smb.conf entry for the share:
  -------------------------------- 8< --------------------------------
  [homes]
        comment = Home Directory M:
        path = %H
        read only = No
        create mask = 0755
        browseable = No
  -------------------------------- 8< --------------------------------
- this server is authenticating via NTLM to a W2k Active Directory
- Usernames/Groups are resolved via nss_ldap
  (http://www.padl.com/OSS/nss_ldap.html)

Client:

- Windows XP professional
- 'My documents' redirected to the UNC path of the homeshare

I gladly provide more information, if needed.

Can anyone explain, what Windows ist trying to do with those
requests?
Is it possible to get rid of this delay?

Also: There are occasional Requests from the client to the
samba server on port 80/tcp. What the heck is it trying
to do with HTTP?

Thanks very much

Chris

Christoph Kaegi                                           kgc at zhwin.ch