6s Delay when accessing share

Christoph Kaegi kgc at zhwin.ch
Fri May 3 03:19:02 GMT 2002

I am actually a little in distress about this one.
They want to replace our main samba fileserver with a W2k one,
if I can't get it to play nice with our new environment.

So, if anyone could give me a hint, in what direction
I can investigate further, I would be *very* grateful.

Thanks

Christoph

On 2002.05.02 11:45, Christoph Kaegi wrote:

> We experience a 6 seconds delay when accessing a samba share, for example
> when copying a local file to the share, or accessing the share by
> doubleclicking on "my documents", which is redirected to the UNC sharename.
>
> When looking at the network traffic, i see the following:
>
> - client is doing a create request to \srvsvc on the IPC$ Share
> - this succeeds and the client gets a FID
> - client does a DCERPC Bind (UUID: 4b324fc8-1670-01d3-1278-5a47bf6ee188)
> - now, the server responds with a 'Write AndX Response'
>   Error: STATUS_INVALID_HANDLE
> - client tries do close the FID but gets again a STATUS_INVALID_HANDLE
>
> This is repeated for about 400 to 600 packets, then the original
> user request for copying or showing a share succeeds.
>
> I can send a tcpdump of this, if it helps.
>
> Our configuration is as follows:
>
> Server:
>
> - Sun Solaris 8 / Sparc
> - Samba 2.2.3a
> - smb.conf entry for the share:
>   -------------------------------- 8< --------------------------------
>   [homes]
>         comment = Home Directory M:
>         path = %H
>         read only = No
>         create mask = 0755
>         browseable = No
>   -------------------------------- 8< --------------------------------
> - this server is authenticating via NTLM to a W2k Active Directory
> - Usernames/Groups are resolved via nss_ldap
>   (http://www.padl.com/OSS/nss_ldap.html)
>
> Client:
>
> - Windows XP professional
> - 'My documents' redirected to the UNC path of the homeshare
>

> I gladly provide more information, if needed.
>
> Can anyone explain, what Windows ist trying to do with those
> requests?
> Is it possible to get rid of this delay?

 [...]

Christoph Kaegi                                           kgc at zhwin.ch