Possible bug: ile changed as we read it

Bert Buckley bbuckley at trilan.com
Tue Jul 30 11:00:03 GMT 2002

I recently sent the following to samba at lists.samba.org.  I did not receive
any replies, except one inquiry reporting that he had encountered the same
problem. (When I sent it to samba-bugs, I was advised to send it here.)

I am not a Samba expert, but I do have many years of experience with many
operating systems.  I have tried to find an explanation for this behaviour
on the systems on my network, but cannot, and believe therefore that this
might be a Samba fault.

Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bert

--
Synopsis:

I do daily dumps from a Linux box of the Windows machines on my network.
(Kernel 2.4.7-10, Redhat 7.2., samba-2.2.1a-4 )  These are done overnight.

I mount the appropriate shared directories as a samba filesystem and use
tar to incrementally dump all recently changed files (using their time
stamp).  I have done this for several years now.

On an older Linux system (Slakware based, older 2.2.18 kernel, older
Samba), I had no problems.

I now get a number of errors of the form:

        tar: ./Toxocara/Restore/Toxocara.mdb: file changed as we read it

The files that generate these errors are completely static.  There are 4
to 6 of them.  It seems always to be the same files.  Their timestamps
look perfectly normal.  There is nothing that I can find that is altering
these files.  Their timestamps have not changed.

Suggestions or pointers to fix this very annoying problem would be
appreciated.

Pls reply to bbuckley at trilan.com.

Thanks in advance.
Bert Buckley