how to deal with STATUS_PIPE_BUSY ?

Tim Potter tpot at samba.org
Tue Jul 16 19:29:02 GMT 2002

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 06:59:31PM -0700, Ben Johnson wrote:

> The problem comes when, after I succeed in getting a very large list of
> group names, I ask for another.  The second request fails and I get an
> NT error code of STATUS_PIPE_BUSY.  Does anyone know what that means?

The latest school of thought with this is that it means "try again
later".  There are a number of KB articles on microsoft.com which make
reference to the number of threads waiting on the named pipe and if
these are all busy then you get STATUS_PIPE_BUSY.

> How can I deal with it?  Do I have to send some sort of ack?  do I need
> to close out a transaction?  The code works fine as long as I don't ask
> for packets that are too large, so I imagine there must be some special
> client side handling needed (beyond what I'm doing) for large packets.

I'm not sure how the above theory fits in with sending too large
packets though.

Tim.