winbindd architecture

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at ns.aus.com
Fri Jul 12 10:56:05 GMT 2002

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 10:44:54AM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > "Christopher R. Hertel" wrote:
> >
> > > Anyway, if the unexpected.tdb is the reason that winbindd needs nmbd, then
> > > I think it could be made optional.  I imagine that winbindd would be
> > > sending regular name queries in order to find the PDC, probably looking
> > > for <ntdomain>#1B.  The 1B address is actually the DMB identifier, but in
> > > Windows the DMB and PDC must be the same node.  It is possible that a Node
> > > Status query is also being sent, to verify that the 1B node also has the
> > > 1C name registered (1C means "I am an NT Domain Controller).  That could
> > > be an issue with a Samba DMB.  If that's the case, though, W/95 can't be a
> > > PDC anyway so not getting a reply shouldn't be a problem.
> > >
> > > Again, I'm not in sync with the discussion so if that's totally bogus
> > > please disregard.
> >
> > We have to node status to get the *name* of the PDC, becouse the
> > NETLOGON RPC requires that.  Windows machines to a NETLOGON Mailslot
> > message, but we don't do that at present.
>
> So you join the domain without knowing the domain name?

No, of course you know the domain name. That is passed in on the smbpasswd
command line after -j or the net join command.

The issue is finding the DC. We can do that by looking it up in WINS or in
DNS if they are using Active directory. However, windows dows a GETDC
NetLOGON mailslot request, which we should do as well. If memory serves,
we look up <DOMAIN>#1C.

> In order to do the node status, you first have to have an IP or DNS name
> for the node you want to query.  How is that obtained?

WINS or DNS once you have found the NetBIOS name of the DC.

Regards
-----
Richard Sharpe, rsharpe at ns.aus.com, rsharpe at samba.org,
sharpe at ethereal.com