winbindd architecture

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Fri Jul 12 12:49:35 GMT 2002

On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 04:21:47AM +0930, Richard Sharpe wrote:
:
> > > We have to node status to get the *name* of the PDC, becouse the
> > > NETLOGON RPC requires that.  Windows machines to a NETLOGON Mailslot
> > > message, but we don't do that at present.
> >
> > So you join the domain without knowing the domain name?
>
> No, of course you know the domain name. That is passed in on the smbpasswd
> command line after -j or the net join command.
>
> The issue is finding the DC. We can do that by looking it up in WINS or in
> DNS if they are using Active directory. However, windows dows a GETDC
> NetLOGON mailslot request, which we should do as well. If memory serves,
> we look up <DOMAIN>#1C.
>
> > In order to do the node status, you first have to have an IP or DNS name
> > for the node you want to query.  How is that obtained?
>
> WINS or DNS once you have found the NetBIOS name of the DC.

Right...

That's my point, I guess.  If you know the NTdomain name then you know the
PDC's name.  It should answer to <NTDOMAIN>#1B (as DMB) and also to
<NTDOMAIN>#1C (a group name, but the PDC is always the first IP in the
Name Query Response from the WINS server).

In any case, I don't see why a Node Status Query would be needed, and even
if it is used I don't see why the unexpected.tdb would be needed since NT
responds to the correct port.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org