Cannot kill -HUP a child process

alex alex at mountainviewdata.com
Sun Jul 7 19:05:02 GMT 2002

I mounted a share from windows side and do some access, then
I can found a child process running, and smbstatus displayed
this child process.

Then I keep this share mounted at windows side, and remove it
from smb.conf, and run "service smb reload", that child process
still running, and the windows can access this share too. If
unmount the share, the child process closed and the share cannot
be mounted again.

The "smb reload" in my /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb do these works:

reload() {
        export TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
        echo -n "Reloading smb.conf file: "
        killproc smbd -HUP
        RETVAL=$?
        echo
        return $RETVAL
}

I want just reload smbd after changing smb.conf, I don't want to
restart the whole smbd.

Is there any problem?

Alex Xiang