problems with WINS initialisation

Kai Krueger kai at kruegernetz.de
Sun Jul 7 15:14:01 GMT 2002

Hi,

I'm haveing problems with the recent samba wins server after deleting the
wins.tdb. After restarting samba, the wins_server_subnet does not contain
all the names it should do (e.g. domain<1b> domain<1c> sambaserver<00>
sambaserver<20> ...). If I use an old CVS checkout from the end of Mai
everything works fine with the same smb.conf. And once wins.tdb is written
correctly the CVS version from 6.7.2002 seems to work ok too. From what I
see in the log files, it looks like samba does not propergate the name
registration attempts on the unicast_subnet down to it's own wins server, so
that the names are only added to it's local chached namelist of the unicast
subnet and not to the wins_server_subnet. Name registrations of external
win2k clients to wins server work correctly. It's only local registrations
that don't work fully as far as I can see.

Is this a problem with the code, or with my local configuration?

Kai