smbwall

Garry J. Garrett garry_garrett at csgsystems.com
Thu Jan 31 15:10:11 GMT 2002

Andrew Bartlett wrote:

[...]
> A default linux kernel comes with only 256 ttys.  (Can be configured to
> whatever number is desired)

Are you sure there isn't an upper limit imposed by naming conventions?
For example, if it's: ptty01, ptty02, etc. then, even dipping into
hexidecimal notation, you max out at 256 IDs, right?  If Linux's
notation for pseudo terminals isn't flexible enough, it might max
out at some upper limit (1024, 4096, 65536, etc.).  Of course if
that upper limit is rediculously huge enough, then who cares (for
example if your only real limit is that pathnames are limited to
1024 characters, then your upper limit on pseudo terminals is pretty
darn big).

My point is, I'm sure that there is a limitation somewhere; we just
don't know what that limit is.  It may be smaller than you are inclined
to think at first glance.  That's all I'm trying to say.

Again, my concern with allocating a real pseudo terminal with each
and every SMB connection (and I realize that that question has
not been settled) is running out of pseudo terminals.  Even if
Linux can go higher than Solaris, you'd want to stick with the
lowest common denominator in terms of determining wether or not
it was a good idea to do this.

I, personally, think it would be a good idea to issue a real
pseudo terminal (if you issue some other kind of pseudo terminal,
how to you get "wall" to be able to send messages there without
hacking the code to wall, which you can't do on more turn-key
Unices, like commercial ones), but I just don't think it's
realistic to issue one per smb client.  That means that you
can send wall messages to all the smb clients, but there would
be no way to send write messages to individual smb clients
(though you can do that with smbclient - you just can't use
the stock standard "write" to do it).

Just my $.02 worth.

Garry J. Garrett
CSG Systems, Inc.      ._o             o              __o
2525 North 117th Ave.    |>           <\            -\<,
Mailstop 2-A             4    . . .. />   . . .. ...O/ O
Omaha, NE 68164-3679

CSG Systems  - http://www.csgsystems.com/
CSG Internal - http://intranet/unixops/
My Homepage  - http://garrett.no-ip.com:8080/

       ...Professor Plumb, in the DMZ, with the named pipe...

I do not speak in any capacity on behalf of CSG Systems, Inc.
I get into enough trouble speaking for myself.